Essays in commemoration of the fiftieth anniversary of the promulgation of the conciliar constitution 1963–2013
Series: Fota Liturgy Series
Hardcover: 256 pages
ISBN 978-1-910388-14-3 hb
Publication date: 8 September 2015
This collection of essays, compiled to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of the promulgation of Sacrosanctum Concilium and delivered at the Sixth Fota International Liturgy Conference, held in Cork, Ireland, in July 2013, is essentially an exercise in methodology, showing how the renewal of the Sacred Liturgy desired by the Fathers of the Second Vatican Council can be recovered, historically and theologically, and subsequently implemented in pastoral praxis with greater fidelity to the Council.
Its point of departure is the promulgated text of Sacrosanctum Concilium situated, firstly, in the historico-theological context of the years immediately preceding, during and after the Council; secondly, in its relationship to the other constitutions, decrees and declarations of the Council as well as to the executive decrees issued by the Holy See for their implementation; and thirdly in its relationship with the Magisterium, prior to the Council, especially that of Pius XII, Pius X and the Council of Trent, as well as the Magisterium subsequent to the Council, particularly that of Paul VI, John-Paul II and Benedict XVI.
Conducted in a spirit of openness and dialogue, such theological reflection on the strengths and weaknesses of Sacrosanctum Concilium, over a range of specific issues, has the potential for real progress in arriving at a deeper understanding of the Council’s liturgical vision and of the arguments underlying it.
John M. Cunningham, O.P.
1. Liturgical Law in Sacrosanctum Concilium and its Implementation
Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke
2. Liturgical Translations and Two Instructions in Perspective
George Cardinal Pell
3. The Mass as the Sacrifice of Christ and the Church according to Sacrosanctum Concilium
Robert L. Fastiggi
4. Sacrosanctum Concilium: A Review of the Theological Critique
5. The Hermeneutic of Sacrosanctum Concilium and the Liturgical Renewal
6. Liturgical Reform and the Unity of Dogma and Prayer
Serafino M. Lanzetta, F.I.
7. Active Participation in the Renewal and Promotion of the Liturgy of Vatican Council II
Paul Gunter, O.S.B.
8. Sacrosanctum Concilium on the Liturgy in the Apostolic Life of the Church
9. Dogmatic Discussion on Concelebration from Sacrosanctum
Concilium to the Present
10. Sharing in Jesus’ self-gift (Benedict XVI). On the Theology of the Extraordinary Form of the Mass in the light of Vatican Council II
11. The Anaphora of the Apostles Addai and Mari and the
Narrative of Institution
Robert Abeynaike, O.Cist.